Thursday, December 1, 2011

With summer gone and winter blowing in, my gardening days are over.  I breathe a sigh of relief as I look at the shiny, colored bottles of fruits and vegetables that line my shelves in the pantry and freezer.  The odd assortments of  jams glisten like jewels in my refrigerator since I couldn't decide which flavor to try first so I tried one of each.  I tell myself 'Next year, I WILL NOT plant as much or can as much.'  But I say that every year.

I have noticed I am planting and do less as my years with MS rage on.  I have picked up a motto from a great mentor The Fly Lady--You can do anything in 15 minutes. www.flylady.net     I have followed her website for years and it is how I have survived--my garden, my house, my hobbies, my life.

Which is why it is taking me forever to write this, although YOU can't tell that--15 mins (or when my energy is zapped) I come back here.  I have been cleaning house; paying bills; playing the 'letting dog in-and-out of the house' game; and soon will be baking goodies to take the chill off the house.

Today I am bringing in part of dinner to a friend who has had a baby.  I have to decide on a good dessert to bring with my salad.  The dessert my family has been eating up lately is my mother-in-law's pumpkin bread recipe I have altered a bit.  But is that really a dessert or just a snack?  I think it would be a dessert if you spread it with Cool Whip.  I have included the recipe and am waiting for thoughts from anyone who may have an opinion.



                                                Pumpkin Bread—Brenda Segeberg

                                                3 1/3 cup flour                        ¾ c. oil
                                                2 tsp. baking soda                  4 eggs 
                                                1 ½ tsp. salt                            2/3 c. water
                                                1 Tbsp. cinnamon                   2 c. pumpkin
                                                3 c. sugar

Combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and beat well.  Pour into two greased & floured** 12 ¾" loaf pans or 2 regular bread pans.  Bake at 350*F for 45-60 minutes.  Toothpick should come out clean.

**Note:  I grease and sugar pan.  Then sprinkle sugar on top.  It makes crispy topping.  Can half recipe or pour into mini loaf pans.  

The mini loaves make great gifts!




No comments:

Post a Comment