Monday, December 5, 2011

B&C Cooking

I have nothing against B&C Cooking.  Nothing at all.

What is B&C, you ask?  Box and can.

There are boxes and cans I use in my stuff all the time--Cream of Chicken soup for a quick gravy base or baking soda that comes in those orange boxes for helping your biscuits come out nice and fluffy.  But there are some things I draw the line at.  Or I used to.

I have been one that loves to create in the kitchen.  I have every little gadget known to woman to help things go easier, and believe me, now that things are slowing down they sure come in handy.  When my kids were little, I was the mother who made fancy theme parties with cakes to match.  I read cooking magazines and ripped out every recipe that sounded even remotely appealing and often subjected others to my experiments. (In fact, I still have a folder chocked full of those recipes still waiting to be tried).  My motto is--Fresh is Best.

Even now I try to do fresh, from scratch, home-grown goodness.  But I have learned this all takes the dreaded 'E' word--energy.  And with learning, comes some compromise to preserve this energy.

I was putting together lasagna Saturday, all of it from my head and from 'scratch' with from ingredients from my freezer.  No big warehouse, frozen ready made dish here and I thought, 'WOW! This was easy.'  Some from boxes and cans, but all good for me and none of the preservatives that come from the freezer section of the market.

Then I remembered were I got this advice from.  I was in the midst of tomato canning season and had an abundance.  I was thinking of making spaghetti sauce from scratch and was getting overwhelmed at the thought, seeing as I had just finished up 24 pints of tomato sauce.  An older lady friend told me about a packet of spaghetti seasoning mix she used, all natural, and saved her the time and hassle.  Just add the toms and process.  Presto!  Instant spaghetti sauce.  So I have been doing this ever since and freezing or canning it.  Makes great anything pasta sauce!

She was also the one who gave me a recipe for canned apple pie filling.  That gave me the idea to look up other fruit pie filling.  Now I have ready-made pie filling to through in my pies.  Saves me time and energy.  A little time spent during canning season, and I am free all winter to enjoy the benefits--especially at holiday times!

Over the years, my making everything from the ground up at every meal is over.  I just don't have energy or time.  I have learned to make extras when I do have the big 'E' and 'T.'  I freeze it and pull it out later, like I did yesterday.  I have also learned it is okay to have breakfast for dinner once and a while.  It is also okay to have a frozen pizza or frozen egg rolls, too.  B&C is OK in moderation.  I am not going to die from it.  In fact, Rick and Taylor (my son) have benefited from watching me crash and burn and not be the Wonder Woman I think I am.

While I do not like the high-sodium, high-fructose corn syrup items, I do look for things healthy to have when I just can't do it.  I keep them in the large freezer for times when the W.W. can't handle it.  And for me, it is more than I care to admit.  I do have canned items, like beans and chicken,  to throw in things for fast lunches, also.  But again, I check labels for the nutrition label.


Items I find useful for quick and easy meals:

  1. The Crockpot (Turn leftover roast into bbq sandwiches. A favorite here.)
  2. The Grill (Fast and easy for low fat meals any time.  Who says you can't grill in the snow?)
  3. Frozen Leftovers (lasagna works great!)
I have added  recipes for a few items my family loves!  And for canning, nothing says it has to be done in the fall.  I sometimes, save it for winter when I have energy.  It warms up the house, too!

Leftover Pulled Pork (or Beef) Sandwiches
*from the roast cooked in your crock pot
either leave in your crock pot on low  for 6 hrs or simmer in sauce pan for 1 hr
use up to 1/2 bottle Bull's Eye© (our favorite flavor is the Kansas City)
     *has no-high fructose corn syrup
after warm, serve on hard rolls with favorite side dish

Canned or Frozen Apple Pie Filling    This recipe is from All Recipes.com
               about  7  qts.
2 tsp. ground cinnamon              3 tbsp. lemon juice.
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg               2 tsp. salt
1 c. cornstarch                           10 c. water
4 1/2 c. sugar                    

about 6 lbs. apples

1-In lrg pan,mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, &nutmeg. Add salt & water & mix well. Bring to a
boil and cook until thick & bubbly. Remove from heat & add lemon juice. 2-Peel, core, and wedge
apples. Pack apples into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2” head space. 3-Fill jars with hot syrup; remove
air bubbles. 4-Put hot lids on and process in water bath canner for 20 minutes. Or you can place immediately into freezer containers.  *can add 2 drops yellow food coloring.

I have noticed sometimes certain apples are running when canned, so I just drain off the juice before pouring into pie crust.  

I also have given this out as Christmas gifts.  Just decorate top with Christmas fabric and give with frozen pie crust.  It's a hit for those busy mom's at Christmas!

***Not to be eaten***

Best Furniture Polish Ever--works great on heirloom furniture
1 cup olive oil

few drops essential lemon oil to add a fresh scent

goes rancid fast so if you don't dust often, you may want to half the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment