Thursday, July 18, 2013

RPM's and PJ'S

At a business retreat Rick and I went to, a yoga instructor told us she always did her RPM's in the morning.  My husband quipped up, "Rise, pray, and meditate?"  "No," She laughed.  "Rise, PEE, and meditate."

I decided to add that to my morning routine but kept it Pray.  RPM'S can be an acronym for whatever you want it to be--hers, mine yours.  It was hard to do when I had kids at home.  I felt like I hit the floor with the RPM's going from 0 to 60 in 2 secs flat.  Now, I am more like an old jalopy, and I kind of like the feeling.

I rise after a decent night's rest (usually) and always start my day with prayer.  I need to ask God to help me throughout my day.  Some may scoff at the idea, and that's okay. It's their choice.  But it's my choice to start my day this way.  It helps me get going.  My meditation is usually reading a good book-scriptures, news, or something I want to read. Something that fills my soul with happiness.  I must say, not all news does this, but I like to keep up with what's going on in the world.  I limit this to once or twice a week.  This is done during breakfast and no more than 30-minutes.  I have been known to spend too much time involved in a good book.  :)

Now what are PJ'S?  That's the bedtime routine of course-Prayer, Journal, and Scriptures. These are done in any order, and if I have already done scriptures earlier in the day, I sometimes read a church magazine, do a crossword puzzle or something else to wind down.

I've always been one to write in a journal.  I have them going way back to when I was eight.  I don't do the whole routine every night.  It's always the P, but I usually save the J for once or twice a week.  I don't have enough worth writing about everyday.  I try to do the M and S everyday as I find taking time for me is very crucial.

Also, with journaling, I find it funny to read about me to my kids.  They realize I was a 'real' kid and teen and had issues just like they faced, even in the 'old' days.  It's good to read the stuff I'd forgotten I'd done with or to my siblings and about relatives who have passed away.  I get to read about when I first met Rick back when we were fifteen and laugh about the fun times we had.  He wonders why I wrote about all the crazy stuff.  I am glad I did, because I would have never remembered it.

I guess this blog is also a kind of journal for me, too.  It helps me unload some things I might not say otherwise.  It is therapeutic just like my RPM's and PJ'S are.


6 comments:

  1. Love it! I too have my time in the am & pm, but I love the "RPM & PJ" way if thinking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier way to think about it. I think it was Jess who told me about the Pj's. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Brenda - you found me! I had to take my old blog private due to some cyber security issues, then just decided to start a completely new one. I have been slowly trying to let all of my blogging friends know about the change, but then we went on vacation and I lost track of who I had notified and who I had not! You are welcome to visit, comment and follow my new blog. I am so excited when my "old" blogging friends turn up on my new blog! I really love this post and the RPM, PJS anacronyms. What a great way to remember. I am pretty good at doing all of these things every day (except that I do get behind on my journal at times), but like you, I just don't know how I would get along without these important, life and faith-sustaining rituals! Glad you are having a good summer! Thanks for keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was my Google acct. I have been having issues will all of them. haha. I love reading all your stuff even though I don't always reply (bad Brenda). Summer is just so busy with work and stuff. Glad I tracked you down--with the help of a friend. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, good, you found deb.
    I like your hubbies definition of RPMs best.
    It's amazing to see how much a bit of simple writing in a journal will add up. Great for personal reflection. I have been reading my great grandfather's journal a bit here and there. So glad he left it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found her. Thanks for your help. I have been trying to keep up on my journal, going trough my grandma's stuff (photos and notes), and all the stuff handed down to me at her funeral. She really was a pack rat. Some of it is important. I told you my scanner died. I told Rick I need a new one. Not sure when THAT will happen. Right now, work season has to end. Then my grandma's journaling will begin again.

      Delete