Thursday, December 15, 2011

Keep Swimming

As Dory, from Pixar's ©  Finding Nemo says, 'Just keep swimming,' we have to do that in life.  As soon as we wake up in the morning, we need to decide --are we getting up to start the day or are we going to lounge around and do nothing?

Now growing up, I was the type who didn't want to miss a thing--ever.  I was labeled Miss Snoopy, Miss Butt-Insky, Miss Know-it-All, and whatever name is out there for one who has the "Inquiring Mind."  I never wanted to go to bed because I was sure I was going to miss something.  I had to be involved in every activity known to man since I had to learn it all and do it all.  BUT I never finished half of these activities, as soon as I found something else I wanted to learn and do.  My poor parents finally put their foot down and said, 'NO, enough!'  That included my siblings that followed me.

Now in high school, I had settled into a pattern of the fine arts and put my energy into that.  So I was busy and had fun.  I got involved with church activities and had a job.  I was the typical A personality and was loving life.  I went to college and continued the full speed ahead motion with a full 18-credit load, symphonic orchestra, a committee thrown in for good measure and several sophomore level classes.  I added a job my second year, had a car, and better friends--well you get the picture...run, run...run.  I graduate and moved on.  Got a great job and married a great man.

Fast forward many years to this whirlwind girl slowing down.  Yesterday, we talked of sacrifices. There were many things I had to give up in my life of go and do.  I talked of my violin.  I have mentioned hiking.  But that is not what I want to say.  I am here to say KEEP SWIMMING!

In 1997, Rick (my DH) and I decided to go to an MS group support meeting.  I was lost and wanting to talk to others who had what I had.  I wanted to see how they were handling it.  After that meeting, I never went to another meeting again.  Everyone there, except the coordinator, was moaning about how bad his/her life was. How her husband had left her.  How he couldn't climb mountains any more. How he was stuck in a wheelchair.  How she had to use a catheter.  And on and on and on.  Most people had had MS for over 10 years and I was thinking 'Oh my gosh!  That's me in X years.'    I fled the scene in tears.

From that day, I have decided I would never be like that.  I would keep swimming.  I would think positive thoughts.  It has been proven that laughter is good for you.  I, also, think positive thinking helps you to overcome and get around things you otherwise couldn't do.   http://www.umm.edu/features/laughter.htm

I love to garden so I took a Master Gardening class years ago.  As my disease progresses and I can do less outside, I volunteer more at the county extension and do things on the inside.  I keep swimming.


With my own garden, I have my husband and son put things in nice rows with hard walkways in between.  I plant (or try to) limited amounts of produce.  I use my knowledge of water conservation and weed control to help minimize my work out there so I can still garden.  Keep Swimming.

I love to be outdoors camping, hiking, and fishing.  My husband has helped in this by slowly acquiring ATV's so we can still get in the back woods since I can't hike that far.  We now have a small travel trailer with a toilet instead of a tent so I don't have to use the porta potty any more.  It is difficult with my AFO to use that.  And now with my AFO, I qualify for a life-time fishing permit so we search out the lakes or streams with easier access for me to climb down to.  Keep swimming.


I love to do crafts and crochet.  As my hands get worse, I do things in spurts, change or learn new crafts, and up the size of the crochet needle.  Keep Swimming.


Another thing about keep swimming is to listen to your doctor--all your doctors.  During the first 2 years of my disease, I switched neurologists three times before I found one I could trust and had a good repoire with.  I have been with him for 13 1/2 years.  He encourages me to do things that are good for me that make me feel good--yoga, vitamins, good eating habits, and anything that I find helps me out.  I am a believer in mixing Eastern and Western medicine.  I have done acupuncture, chiropractics, essential oils, and micro-current.  I keep swimming.


The most important reason I think I keep swimming is through is my Savior.  If it wasn't for daily pray and  the faith to get out of bed each day, I wouldn't be where I am. His strength and peace get me through the rough times.  Because we all know every day isn't always going to be a good day.  So when we do have good days, we need to be thankful for them and Keep Swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment