Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Family Part 2

My daughter came home earlier than expect from college, and I was thrilled.  I enjoy having her home.  She is a big help to me.  I am sure as each of our children leave the nest, we realize exactly what they did for us.  But while they are at home, all we see are the messes they create.

I remember during each phase of my children I would tell myself--"If I live through this, it will get easier."  I remember my mother telling me: 'Don't wish this away.  They are only two once.'  Or they're only eight once.  At the time, I just laughed and cleaned up spilled milk and broken Legos.

But as I get older, I realize your family is everything.  I cherished the moments, when being down with an MS relapse, I had the kids crawl in bed with me and we read any book they wanted.  Or, we played Monkey Tails for my daughter's fifth birthday party.  Another time, we decorated over fifty sugar cookies for Christmas just because they didn't want to stop.  One year, for my son's fourth birthday, we had a Zorro-themed party and to make the cake black enough, I had to use a ton of coloring.  All the kids left with black teeth and tongues.  They thought it cool, but I'm not sure the parents did.

These memories became fewer and fewer as my kids became 'too cool' for this stuff but there are times I hear them talking about it.  This Christmas, we pulled out some of the old books I used to read every holiday, and both kids were laughing at how they loved this one or that one.  Some of the scratch-n-sniff ones still had their scents, and my kids were yumming or yucking over them still.  It makes a mother's heart warm all over again.

We do need to appreciate our family.  A dear friend lost one of her son's this past holiday.  My heart ached for her as we went to the funeral last weekend.  My son was friends with one of the brothers. As we listened to the family share their memories, I couldn't help but think what a bad time to lose someone.  Why is it always the holidays?  I have lost loved ones over holidays and it makes you more aware of your family and how much they mean to you.

Take time this holiday season, no matter if you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or none at all, to call your family--make amends.  Let grudges go and let forgiveness fill your soul.  It is time to remember happier times and love those who gave you life.

If you have no family, find a friend who has gone out of the way to help you in a time of need.  Thank them and spend some time with them.  Start the new year with a clean page in a new book.

ATV'ing with Dad 2000

Canyonlands National Park UT   2001

Oahu, HI  2007

Glacier National Park MT  2008

No comments:

Post a Comment