Friday, December 9, 2011

Gratitude

I have a book I keep with a list of things I am grateful for.  I actually used to keep it in my old Palm and had a list that ran four years.  It had hundreds of items from the serious, like my family and God, to silly things, like my dishwasher and a day at the Lagoon where my family didn't fight.  But, someone stole the thing probably thinking it was a smart phone.  Too bad for him/her and so sad for me.  I had over six years of medical records on there and fours years of thankfulness in it.  And none of it could be back up anymore since it was so antiquated.

But, since this is a gratitude post, I will say is was kudos for me since I got a new smart phone out of the loss.  I took me six months to learn how to work the thing, and I have put my thankful list in a book--more permanent, but not as handy.  And, I don't remember everything from my Palm list, so sad.

It is nice to write down what you're thankful for.  It helps you remember them and as you write it down, you remember more.  On bad days, if you read over the list, it cheers you up and makes you realize your life really isn't as terrible as you think it is.

Like I said above, I write down everything.  I wrote down last November I was thankful for our new mattress.  We got a screaming Black Friday deal on a Sleep Number© bed.  So I wrote down I was thankful for the Black Friday special and the mattress.  I think I have included the mattress on my list several times this year--especially after we go out-of-town and sleep in another bed.  :)

You think you don't have anything to be thankful for?  I was reading an article this morning, and it gave some suggestions.  It mentioned we usually don't start thinking about these things because we are too busy taking things for granted.  I know this was me when my health was good.  I never thought about walking, energy levels, or even if I would wake up and not be able to get out of bed in the morning.  It is only natural.  But you know, we may not always have a job, food on the table, our car, our family, our friends, our good health, or whatever.  We need to look around and start enjoying what we have now.

Here are 10 steps to help you find 100 things to be thankful for this holiday season:

Name 10 things of each of these:

  1. Physical things you are able to do
  2. Items you own
  3. People you know
  4. People who have died
  5. Things in nature
  6. Things this year
  7. Things today
  8. Foods you love
  9. Things that make you life easier
  10. Books you love

Now wasn't that easy?  Your book has been started.  When you are discouraged and want to go back to bed for the day, pull put your list and read it over.  I bet you feel better.

A song I like to sing when I am down is:

Count Your Blessings 

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

[Chorus]
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

[Chorus]

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.

[Chorus]


So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.


[Chorus]
Text: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856–1922
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851–1921


So this season and throughout the year, let us Count Our Blessings and shout out our Gratitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment