Tuesday, March 6, 2012

MS Awareness Week March 11-18

Many of you are aware I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis. It's something I share openly with all those that want to know.  I'm not afraid to tell my story: what symptoms I started with; how long it took them to diagnose me; what I've done to deal with it; and what things I'm doing now to help with it.

I wasn't always this way.  As mentioned in earlier postings, I struggled coming to terms with this. Anyone who has lost something or someone does.  You go through stages of shock and denial that there is no way this can be you.  It must be someone else's results.  Then, comes the guilt of wondering if you did something to deserve this; or maybe pain (at times almost physical) breaking your heart and wondering how your life is going to be from now on.

Anger and negotiating come next.  I remembering making deals with God about my kids.  Then, my deals would turn into angry rants at Him for making me have to suffer this terrible disease that doctors didn't know anything about or have any cure for.  "How am I suppose to raise a family being STUCK in a wheelchair?!  You might as well take me now!"  Then, remorse and shame would take me over, and I would plead for forgiveness, only to have the anger start all over again the next day.

Depression soon follows.  Thanks to a caring husband and good doctors, I spent three and half years in therapy for this.  I was able to cope with the feelings that come from losing much that comes with a chronic illness.  And if you can cope, comes reflection.  It's during this time I came to realize and accept my disease.  I learned to know I had support from friends and family.  I read and studied everything there was to know about MS.   I started to gain knowledge.


With knowledge comes power and your life turns for the better.  You feel better, and you can do more.  You can accept and have hope that all is not as bad as you thought things were going to be when you first got your diagnosis umpteen days ago.

For me, it was about five years before I was able to speak openly to people about this disease.  But now, I want to share and let people know.  And I am letting you know.

  • Did you know that 2.1 million people worldwide have MS?
  • Women are 2-3 times more likely to have it than men.
  • Children can also have MS.  There are 10,000 documented cases
  • MS is not contagious
  • The majority of people with MS do not become severely disabled

If you want to find out more, or find a local chapter in your area, check out this website for more information. http://nationalmssociety.org/index.aspx

Last year, my daughter and her college friends joined the MS Walk in her college town and helped raise money for research.  Rick and I went and joined in. Jess learned a lot she didn't know about MS and thinks she will do it again this year.  Thanks to my daughter for setting an example to her friends!

Everyone, everywhere, can do something to help spread the word about this devastating disease--even if it is just passing the word on to help donate to an MS Walk in your area come Spring or Fall.

3 comments:

  1. It's just amazing how many people this affects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for helping to increase awareness of MS by sharing your own struggles. My mom's fight with MS inspired me a lot and I'm happy to see progress being made in the search for a cure. I was fortunate enough to start MS Awareness Week by being offered a job working the Utah-Southern Idaho Chapter of the National MS Society. I'm honored that I will be working to help you and others with MS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter told me she learned a lot by helping out with the walk and was excited to do something for me. Like you, she is choosing to work in a field to help others with MS and other disabilities.

      I am glad to be able to help others see the light through the clouds and glad there are 'daughters' who are inspired to help in ways that help others hear the MS Awareness message.

      Delete