Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Memories

Read a story that was forwarded in a email that touched me deeply.  I almost deleted it like I do with a lot of them.  Many of them carry viruses I don't want on my computer and others, I save having good intentions to read, but they pile up adding clutter to my life I really don't need. I am not sure who wrote this story, but it hit home at a time when I was in great need.

This month has been one of great stress.  Life is like that sometimes.  Ups and downs like a roller coaster.  But we are in it for the ride.  But while we are in it, we must remember the many memories.  Here are some of mine. What are yours? 

Every Thanksgiving we would go with my sister's kids up to the hills in Montana for a picnic and get  our famous Montana Christmas tree.  This is 1997. My son is wearing his dalmatian costume from Halloween.  He refused to be parted from it.  I believe it rotted off his body.  hahaha

This is at Lake Alva, Montana.  Most summers we would go camping with my parents and the cousins.
Roasting (smoking) marshmallows with Grandpa.
Those were the days.  1998.

The summer of 1999,  my parents took us rafting down the Missouri River  up   from
what is now known as Tower Rock State Park, Montana.  We had super, hot sun and torrential
rains.  But my kids were troupers.  At one point, we stopped  for snacks at an island
that was covered is goose poo.  My daughter dubbed it "Goose Poop" Island.

In Oct 2001,  we all headed to Disneyland.  We met my husband's sister there (by accident).
  She was a great friend of my sister so all the cousins had a blast.  Since it was after 9-11 crowds were
at a minimum and we had the rule of the park.  As you can see, it was my heavier days, but I couldn't
resist standing in with my favorite of all Disney animals.
In January 2006, Rick's work sent him to Guadalajara, Mexico and we had the opportunity
to take both kids.  Since they had been taking Spanish Immersion in
school, we thought what a great chance for them to go.  We spent a week there
with them learning the cultural, practicing the language, and literally,
being immersed in the country.
Early of 2007, Rick';s work sent him to back to Guadalajara, Mexico.   I got to go with  him
this time and we snuck away to Manzanillo on the coast  for a day.  What fun!

We love to camp and hike and my son is a pyromaniac.  At Thanksgiving of 2007, we went
to Zions National Park camping.  My husband happened to catch this photo
of Taylor catching his hair on fire.  Way to go, Son!  Love it.


I think our greatest (and cheapest) vacation was in October 2007.
Thanks to all the perks of Rick's work and his many international travels,
the family went to Oahu, Hawaii, for a week.  The kids still rave about it
and hope to go back.  One wants to live there (good luck).  There was no fighting and
for me, I had a moment of complete and utter joy.  Those moments that happen rarely.

Our kids chose going to Glacier Nation Park in 2008 rather than
Disneyland.  I was kind of bummed since I love Disneyland, but
we went whitewater rafting, hiking, and saw the many sites.
It has created a great memory for me.

I found the email that brought on good memories and made me forget life's challenges if but for a moment.  Maybe it will hep you, too.


1 comment:

  1. They grow so fast. I am so glad for pictures.
    Feeling that acutely this week.

    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete