Friday, February 3, 2012

Communication

Last week, my husband and I attend a seminar on communication.  At first, I thought, "Why do I need to go to this?  I know how to talk to people.  Besides, this is mainly for business people and I am just a mom."  But as the class went on, I found out this was a great thing for me!

While the bulk of the seminar was for business people, the presenters, workbook, manual, and other materials were suitable for everyone.  I started thinking about how I communicate with those around me--spouse, children, associates, doctors, friends, and family.  I saw how it was relevant to me in everyday life.

One of the stories told was about how a woman went in for surgery.  Everything went fine and she came through with flying colors--except...her surgery was for a tonsillectomy and she ended up having her right foot amputated.  Why did this happen?  It was because all the red warning signs that happened before the surgery to the medical staff were not brought up. They were afraid to communicate their concerns with the well-known surgeon who was working on her.  They felt he knew what he was doing and were afraid to question authority, step on toes, hurt someone's feelings, whatever. 

I had a similar situation years ago when I was receiving some Solu-Medrol at a hospital for a flair-up of my MS.  It is given through IV and the medicine is clear.  The nurses have you give your full name and date of birth to verify that this medicine is yours before they hook you up.  This was done for me. But as I was looking at the medicine in the bag, it was not clear.  It was a thick, red substance. Even though it had my full name on the bag, I kept getting the feeling this was not my medicine.  I knew the nurse well so I thought she would know I was to be receiving Solu-Medrol.  She kept chatting away to me and getting read to 'plug' me in.  I finally couldn't ignore the feeling that this wasn't what I was to be getting, so I asked her, "Did they change the color of Solu-Medrol?"  and laughed.  The nurse finally looked at the bag.  "Are you getting Solu-Medrol?  This is iron."  She rushed out of the room and re-read my orders.  I was to get Solu-Medrol and she had accidentally ordered iron since three other patients that hour were getting iron.  If I had not spoken up, I too, would have been getting iron.  That would have been a bad thing.

I now take a list when I go to doctors' offices with questions I have.  I am not afraid to speak up when I go places where my health is concerned.  I want to make sure I have the right care.  Here is a good website to check out to help with what you may need to know:  http://www.ahrq.gov/questions/beforeappt.htm

Keep following the links for 'during' and 'after' your appointment.  You can also print off a sheet for your questions so you can bring them with you.  Knowledge is power   and can help you so you don't forget anything when you leave there.  I always hate it when I remember something as I am driving out of the parking lot.  :)

Remember, communication is the key! Are there times when we don't speak up?  Or we speak up at bad times and offend others because of how we do it?  Do we lack tact?  Are we one of those people who are born leaders and have a natural knack for communication?  I highly recommend you read the book from this seminar if you fall into one of these categories. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Conversations-Talking-Stakes-Second/dp/0071771328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328304737&sr=8-1

It just may save your life!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Sometimes I am quiet about my feelings and realize that I don't understand others and they are not understanding me. It's amazing to see the difference a bit of conversation can make.

    ReplyDelete