Monday, June 18, 2012

The Little Things

Last Friday, my husband, Rick, and I were sitting in the stands watching a minor league baseball game.  We were trying to remember the last time we had gone to a game, where we had sat, what we had ate, and decided it was way too long, since we couldn't remember any of it.  Surely, it wasn't that long?  Wasn't it just last season?  But no, it must have been two or three seasons ago, since we had brought so-and-so with us and they weren't around anymore.

That got me to thinking about a fishing trip we had been trying to plan for the last few months.  So far, it isn't working out and summer is half gone.  Between his jobs and my part-time one, time is fleeting.  We can't even seem to squeeze in an afternoon in to run up the canyon.  Rick is an adjunct teacher and since all the other staff took summer off, he is left hold the bag.  We do need the money to pay for all my medical needs, so I am not complaining.  It has just started me thinking about the little things--the things we like to do.

Are there things you have forgotten to do because life is busy?  Or maybe you think you don't have the money?  Or you've gotten to 'old' for it?  As I was sitting there with my hubby enjoying our brief evening, I thought of a few little things I was going to take time to do before summer (or life) passed me by--and I started at that game.


  1. I sang really loud when the song "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" came on.
  2. I had baseball game junk food--AND enjoyed it.
  3. Write a thank you note to an old mentor apologizing for being an ungrateful teenager.
  4. Enjoy the birds singing in the morning--even if it is 4:30 am.  I am up heading to the bathroom anyway.
  5. Take a Sunday walk with my husband.  It is free and he can push me in my wheelchair.  Say hi to any of the neighbors that happen to be out.
  6. Play pick-a-boo with the little baby in the row in front of me in church.  He's a cutie.
  7. Make the bread my son has been bugging me to make.
As I started making a 'little things' list, I noticed my spirits lifted.  It is almost like my 'thankful' list.  Some of the things were wild and crazy, and I would never, ever do them, but it still felt good to think about them.  It was kind of like taking 'happy' medicine.

There are many 'little things' in our lives waiting to be rediscovered.  What have you lost?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Life gets so very busy that we sometimes have to "force" ourselves to slow down take time out the people and things we love. Thanks for this great reminder! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the picture of you two on facebook! You look so good together. Glad you took the time to get out together.

    ReplyDelete