Thursday, August 30, 2012

Things That Matter

For several days, I've been thinking of my little family's circumstances, and what a trip it's been.  I've learned a little about myself (good and bad) and realized I'm overall a happy person who's been very blessed.  Life is good, but it's also what I make of it.

My husband was let go from his 'great' job almost two years ago and with it went many things we were used to--health insurance (which for me has been the hardest blow); a steady paycheck (you can imagine everything that pays for); and the little things we took for granted: vacations, movies, dining, etc.  And like many others in this terrible economy, he has yet to find a "normal" job.

I'm not writing this to create or have a pity party but to let you know it's made us aware what really matters in times like these.  To maybe make you, also, step back a little and think about your life, no matter your circumstances and see what is most meaningful.

I remembered telling a friend of mine here I was in my forties and starting life over.  It's kind of like when I finished college.  I had nothing then, too.  She reminded me I still had my home, and when I left college, all I had was a beat up old car.  I did see the humor in that.

My reminiscing sent me way back to to my wedding day.  It was a disaster in all ways.  A brief run down--luggage lost; rings missing, found ruined; ceremony time had to moved 3 hours since marriage license also went missing; cake top shattered; sisters arrested by over-zealous traffic cop and had to be bailed out with honeymoon cash; one of wedding speakers talked for 45 minutes causing one of the groomsmen to faint from exhaustion (it did help shut the man up, lol); and those were just a few of the highlights. But only one thing mattered.  I was married to the man I loved.

So, I've been thinking of what IS it that matters?  Certainly not the stuff we sold these past two years to make ends meet; not the items we lost at the wedding. Stuff is never important. It can always be replaced.  Of course, it seems so at the time--the modern car with all the bells and whistles; a cool, new DVD coming out next week; the beautiful outfit in the mall window; or a must-have shoes everyone at school has.  But there are other places to get those things cheaper, and, most of the time, we really don't need them.  Think about it, renting a movie IS cheaper than buying it, and then the movie doesn't sit on your shelf for years gathering dust.

Things that matter to me:
1-A husband who does the laundry, so I don't have to climb the stairs (with MS and this brace on my leg, stairs are a killer).
2-A son who planted my garden, so I could have fresh tomatoes this year (and win blue ribbons with those tomatoes at the County Fair).
3-A daughter who comes home from college with a smile and helps me clean the hard places I can't reach.
4-A future son-in-law who takes care of my daughter who is away at college.
5-A home to live in.
6-MS drug companies who work with me to help me get the medications I need even without insurance to help with my MS.

And the list goes on.  I have a little journal I keep a list of things I'm thankful for in, and I try to keep it current.  Now, I'm adding things that matter to me because the line is very thin between what's important and thankfulness.  I truly believe greed and selfishness lead to unhappiness.  The more we dwell on what we don't have (our have-nots), we found ourselves in the 'pit of despair.'  [Princess Bride]

So as you go about your day, look around you.  See what you have and ask yourself--Does It Matter?  If your are about to buy something or do something big or expensive, ask yourself--Is This Important to Me (or my family)?  One never knows what you may find on this little journey you take.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wedding day.
    And, yes... So many blessings.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for another thought-provoking post. This one really touched my heart. My husband (a teacher) was laid off twice during the economic downturn (along with 40,000 other teachers in our state). He is back to work now, but real security is gone. The things that matter most, however, are still there...love, faith, family, friends. Thanks again and many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete