Sunday, May 15, 2016

Good, Better, or Best

I listened to a fantastic talk almost 9-years ago that hasn't left my mind. It's nagged at me and, in many ways, rules the decisions I make daily.
  "Most of us have more things expected of us than we can possibly do. We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives."

As you've noticed, it's been months since I've touched this blog.  I love writing.  It's one of the "good" things in my life.  I've had many ideas to share with those interested in reading this and couldn't wait to put it down.  But Life happened.

As with us all, we have to make a decision in our lives of what is Good, Better or Best.  Life for me was starting to feel like a Merry-Go-Round spinning out-of-control; Time and Priorities desperately to be assessed or I would lose what was left of my sanity.  I had to do more than mentally write down the GBB (Good, Better, or Best) in my Life.

When I did that, the carousel slowed down and I was able to breathe again.  Family and Health  won the Best Category.  These are first and foremost in my life.  I'm reminded, again, they always are and always should be.   I try to squeeze in a few Better Categories-Gardening or Family History (I have to replenish myself)-but right now, in 2016, the focus is on the Best. Maybe someday, I'll have time for the Good Category again.

Just like in the story of The Mayonnaise Jar , you need to put your energy on the things that really matter.  And that's what I'm doing for now, focusing on GBB.  This will be the last post from the Rambler.  It's been fun; I've enjoyed the friendships I've made.  If you still want to reach me, you can.  Just reply to this post, and I will send you my email address.

Brenda

3 comments:

  1. Hello - good to hear from you. I totally understand that blogging can take a lot of time. I have had to cut down on blogging quite a big in the past couple of years. I would love to stay in touch. You have been an inspiration to me. Take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't an email link in your profile, so here is my email address: cdjdhj1979@gmail.com or we can connect on Facebook - Deborah Hunt Jones. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rereading this and a reply from Deb, tells me I didn't leave my email link. So here it is: brsege@gmail.com. Hope all are doing well and you are doing the BEST things in Life!!

    ReplyDelete