Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Ruby Red Slippers

I have always loved shoes. Which probably seemed weird to those who didn't know me well, since I was almost always not wearing them.  I used to own a pair to match every style outfit I had--spiky heels; strappy sandals; casual loafers; driving moccasins, easy slip-ons, etc. I usually bought the shoe first, and then, the outfit to match it.

I had two favorite pairs of shoes--a 6" pair of glossy red heels that showed off my calves nicely and made my skirts swish around the knees; and a worn-out pair of slip-on Birks.  Yes, I know.  Two extremes of the wardrobe here-sexy and hippy.  If I couldn't go barefoot, I might as well be one or the other. I was a Montana-girl and reserved the right to go into my hiking boots, cowboy boots, snow boots,  running shoes, etc., anytime I wanted.  Needless to say, I almost needed a separate closet for my shoes (I wasn't as bad as Imelda Marcos, though).

It's been eight years since I've worn heels or run barefoot on the sand (I haven't RAN with shoes on, either, since I was diagnosed with MS, but that's besides the point).  Since I have developed foot drop (general term for difficulty lifting the front part of the foot/dragging it on the ground causing one to trip), I have to wear good, sturdy shoes to support the brace I wear.

In the beginning brace days, Rick brought me back pair of Birkenstock's from his trip in Europe (he thought they would work).  They were soooooooo cool.  I loved them and wanted to wear them everywhere.  But with the AFO (brace) , I had to slide the footplate under the insole of the shoe. Some shoes, I could put the brace on top of the insole, but since the Birk is contoured, I couldn't do either. Devastating! I sold my brand new shoes on E-Bay.

For the first few years, I wore big, wide-bottom sneakers just about everywhere. Church shoes were interesting.  I found a Mary Jane style that wasn't the big diabetic clunkers and used that.  I now owned two pairs of shoes-one for everyday and one for church.  I hung on to my closet full of fancy shoes just in case I could every use them again.

I made a few discoveries.  I went through shoes faster-about six months (that happens when you wear them almost 16/7).  I really needed two styles of sneakers so my feet and hips could change elevation and angles.  Ones body really takes a toll when the shoes are broken down.  One color and style of shoe doesn't go with all your clothes-although you can wing it. I did make some fashion statements. And there are some places that have a 'no athletic shoe' policy.  I've also decided I don't like wearing the same shoe to church every Sunday.  And I detest flats, but, I can't go any higher than a 1" heel.

So how did these discoveries come about?  Some were trial and error.  Others where right in the aisle of the shoe store.  You can learn from my mistakes.

  • At the store, if you cannot walk down to the end of the aisle and back without teetering, wobbling, or just plain falling over, DO NOT BUY THE SHOES!                                             
    •  No matter how cute the shoe is you will just end up bring it back to the store when your sanity returns at home.
    • If your foot is pinched, cramped or uncomfortable, see bold print above.  You will get blisters, corns, or curse the day you spent good money on crappy shoes.  Even if they were on sale!
  • Never order on line.  You won't be able to do the 'aisle test.'
  • The wider the bottom of the shoe, the more stable you will be.
    • My children have told me I would fail a sobriety test in some of my 'cuter' shoes.
  • YES!  They do make sandals for my type of AFO.  Just make sure you don't walk like Frankenstein in them. Even normal walking women aren't appealing walking like that.
    • That goes for any shoe you buy.  You don't want to be stomping around in it.  Not attractive.
The most painful discovery was I'd never wear those strappy sandals or 6" heels again. The day I finally cleaned out my closet was a hard one.  My favorite shoes were put in a large paper bag and left there on the closet floor, taking up room and gathering dust; the glossy, crimson heels sitting on top winking at me every once in a while.  Finally, the day came when a several people came to the door wanting shoes for a charity gathering.  I'm sure they couldn't use the ruby slippers, but I had them wait at the door while I rushed into my room, Before I could lose my nerve, I gave them the entire bag of shoes. They were astound at my generosity.  I was grateful my shoes were going to good use (except maybe the flashy stilettos).

I have yet to find another pair of ruby, red slippers.  I guess one-inch or lower heels only come in three colors-black, brown or white.  But, I've received compliments on the shoes I do wear and have had the privilege of helping other 'poor, unfortunate souls' like me (name the movie-hehehe) to find cute, stable footwear. One of the greatest compliments to me came from one of the 16-year old girls in my church.  She was looking at my sandals one Sunday and said, "I was just admiring them.  I love flats and was wondering where you got those cute shoes!" And everyone knows teenagers will tell you how it is!!  And like Cinderella (or Dorothy), I will continue to look for my allusive slippers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda - good to hear from you again. Shoes have always been a challenge for me. While I don't have MS, I do have all find of "foot problems" and usually stick with a good, comfy supportive athletic/walking shoe. Sunday shoes are always a challenge. I never was much of a "heel" person (always too uncomfortable - even when I was young), so now I wear Sketchers to church - the kind with straps that remind me of the "Stride-Rite" shoes my mom bought me for church when I was little. They aren't super dressy, but but look OK and get me through church with minimal pain and I don't fall off of them an hurt my ankle (which also happened when I used to wear heels). thanks for sharing some of your shoe buying insight. I would also like to know where you get cute, low-heeled but supportive sandals. have a great week. Hope to hear from you again soon!

    ReplyDelete