Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bathrooms

Recently, I took a vacation trip that left me questioning my sanity of ever leaving the four walls of my house.  It's already hard for me to run to the store, movie theater, or doctor's office without having to make a pit stop if these outings become to long.

Take a normal movie of about 2 hrs and 11 mins. I use the facilities during the previews, hobbling back to my seat just before the start of the show.  I always seem to get the show house situated at the opposite end of where the restrooms are located.  I don't dare have a drink of any kind as that will exacerbate the 2nd trip. This will come right during the crucial moment of the movie-the murder scene or answer to the mystery. When the twinge hits, I have to hoof it.  AND if I'm lucky enough for the place to have a handicap stall nearer to me, someone that's NOT handicap is using it.  I've seen that happen a number of times as I'm limping from the back-and-beyond (barely making it, mind you) and seeing someone rushing out of there.  Errrrrrr.......So, back to the movie, missing about 15 minutes, not knowing where we are, trying to ask Rick and getting shushed by everyone.  You get the point.  If I am lucky, there is no 3rd trip until the movie is over, and then, it is look out everyone!  Peg-leg lady coming through.

On this trip through Nevada and California, I came armed with an app that was to help find bathrooms.  The app was almost worthless.  Maybe in other states it would have worked, but who knows.    I must say though, Nevada has gotten better over the years  I didn't have to worry about finding a non-existent piece of tumbleweed or hide behind a Joshua Tree to do my business.  But California!  What a joke!

I guess I am used to friendlier states with rest stops, convenience stores with actual bathrooms, grocery stores that actually let you use there bathrooms, restaurants that care if the bathrooms are not nuclear waste dumps, and people who care if you have a disease that doesn't always allows you to control your bladder. There was only one 7-11 I went into with a nice clerk who allowed me to use the nuclear grounds.  If I hadn't been about to explode, I might have thought twice about it. But believe me, after about falling over some barrels of unidentified toxins, using the grimy sink, thanking her profusely, I sanitized myself from head to toe.

This trip has made me realize I can't handle all the driving.  I really do hate road trips.  Hate it, hate it, hate it. Maybe a  plane or train where the bathrooms are accessible, but all this stopping every hour or worrying about finding a bathroom really is too much stress for me. I want a relaxing trip; I don't want a dark cloud hanging over me all day until I get to the hotel.  Plus, I want to eat and drink what I want.  I have to avoid caffeinated drinks, spicy foods, chocolate, and other things that irritate the bladder.  After this trip,  I was dehydrated from not drinking and felt like I'd never catch up.  Not good for the body.

Society has come a long way with more accessible buildings, better access to transportation, and an awareness like never before.  But, I know there are things that need to be done to help others with health issues like mine.  I, also, have to step it up.  I can do things to help out.  One, make others aware where the bathrooms are!  Two, not traveling where there aren't bathrooms (or bring one with me ☺).  Three, this one I like best, travel by plane or train and take shorter trips with a rental car.

For those out there with issues like mine, I had a hard time coming to grips with this.  The jokes of mom always knowing where every bathroom was from Canada to Mexico or why the family wasn't surprised when the first place I ran to at a restaurant or store was the restroom were getting old.  I'm coming to terms with this and learning to laugh back.  Life is too short to worry and stress.  Take it in stride and laugh back at them!!

7 comments:

  1. Hello Brenda....this is your Aunt Muriel. I know all to well what you go through to get from point A to B and be comfortable in between. I suffer with IC. Interstitial Cystitis. When I have a flair up.....there would be no road trip for me. No eating out or going to far from the comfort of my own home. I know all to well about the ugly dirty bathrooms one had to use or not.......and in many outings I did not. It takes some getting use to and like you said coming to grips........Life is too short! And in my case, worry and stress made the IC worst. So Good Luck to you. May you find your level of peace or for ever hold your pee. And stick to flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! In some cases, there is no forever holding it. But yes, I know you know the pain and worry. I think there is something all of us go through, but it is coming to terms and choosing what we are willing to do about it.

      I say peace and comfort and sometimes a porta potty!

      Delete
  2. I TOTALLY understand this. Believe me. I have the same kinds of issues relating to the bathroom. It is hereditary because everyone on my side of the family - female and male - have to go almost constantly. I recently read something on one blog that made me smile when a female blogger wrote - "if I am breathing, I can pee." Yep. Me too. So sorry your bladder takes all the fun out of your trips. Arizona is probably the best state around for rest stops, but a few years back, in the middle of the recession, our governor decided to close a bunch of them to cut state expenses. Not a good idea. I say, raise my taxes and keep the potties open! Thank for this post Enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here! Here! I would rather use a good clean rest area any day than the side of the road or a quick mart that hasn't been cleaned in days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been told by others that I forgot to mention the pain involved with holding it forever while waiting for the next blessed sign telling you there is relief ahead. Oh, yes. For those who haven't been in that situation, thank your lucky stars.

    Also, for those who are afraid to use the opposite sex's bathroom if there is no line-DON'T BE! Go for it. I have used it many times when in dire need. And I must say, while a bit scary hygiene-wise, women's bathrooms are way worse hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. old age does that as well. wal-marts r great and have a locator that is easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize Wallies had an app. We did use them when we could find one; also Target since I know their restrooms are near the fromt of the store.

      The thing I also found with CA is the signs are not allowed to be up high. And since a lot of the roads are covered with vegetation so high you can't see anything along the road. The app would have been nice.

      Delete